Thought Leadership Advisory Council
Many people think of me as co-author of No One Is Unemployable and an expert in career development for people facing significant employment barriers, such as criminal history, government dependence, mental illness, disability and injury, addiction, at-risk youth, and homelessness. Over the last few years, I have mobilized this expertise to help a wider range of people re-entering the workforce from layoffs and diminishing industries, parenting, training and education, the military, and more.
My passion and expertise is helping job seekers who are making tough career transitions not just get and keep a job, but begin and succeed in careers that work for them. My personal mission statement is to “Recognize the uniqueness and value created in each person I meet and encourage (and facilitate!) them to become all God was thinking when He put them together.” This goes for job seekers and employment/career practitioners. I love to see people catch a vision for their life and move toward it.
For nearly 15 years, I have influenced the field of career development as a Career Success Mentor, author, international trainer and speaker, and the President of WorkNet Solutions. I have trained more than 10,000 practitioners, helped to establish more than 150 programs, and impacted the lives of nearly 1,000,000 job seekers across the U.S., Australia, New Zealand, and the U.K.
My goal is to challenge, inspire, and equip employment/career practitioners to offer the very best career services to people making tough transitions. My specialty is taking proven theory and what works in the real world and making it applicable and accessible for people with barriers and those making tough transitions.
My professional designations and distinctions include:
- Co-author of “The WorkNet Model of Career Development & Job Placement for People with Barriers”
- Columnist, “Working with Difficult Clients,” for the Career Planning & Adult Development Network
- Certified Workforce Development Professional
- Certified Job & Career Transition Coach
- Recipient of the “Excellence in Contribution to the Field” award, Association for Job Search Training
Highlights of publications and presentations:
- Author of the L.A. Times Top 10 Career Book of the Year, No One Is Unemployable: Creative Solutions for Overcoming Barriers to Employment, and The Six Reasons You Aren’t Getting Hired (Penguin, Spring 2010)
- Creator of more than 50 tools, including WorkNet’s Interactive Career Development Journals and Fast Tracks for job seekers, the Overcoming Barriers Card Sort Game, and more.
- Keynote or PDI speaker for the International Career Development Conference, The Women’s Alliance, MN Family Investment Plan, TX Career Advising & Placement Services, OK Association for Career & Employment Professionals, Workforce West Virginia, CCARTA-Treating Addicted Offenders, WI Careers Conference, and the U.S. Army.
- Trained staff for the Jefferson County (CO) Workforce Center, the Delta Career Education Corporation, Here’s Life Inner City Adult Development Ministry, Alaska Job Corps, Michigan Works!, and TSA Employment Plus-Australia.